The Wheelchair Service provides wheelchair equipment, assessments and support for children and adults who need to use a wheelchair long-term (normally six months or more) due to a disability, terminal illness or severely limiting medical condition.
They provide the following types of wheelchairs and equipment:
- Manual wheelchairs (options for self-propelled or those pushed by an attendant)
- Powered indoor wheelchairs
- Powered indoor and outdoor wheelchairs
- Specialist buggies, wheelchairs and seating for children
- Specialist bespoke seating systems for use with a wheelchair
- Pressure relieving cushions and some accessories for wheelchairs
The charity Whizz-kidz can provide a range of mobility equipment to children and young people with a physical disability to give them independence at home, at school and at play.
The NHS should always be a family’s first port of call for mobility equipment. However, if your local NHS Wheelchair Service does not provide equipment to meet the essential mobility needs of your child then we may able to help.
Through the Motability scheme you can lease power wheelchairs and scooters using the mobility part of your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA)