Social Security Scotland’s Disability Payments

Replacing Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and DLA (Disability Living Allowance)

Social Security Scotland delivers Adult Disability Payment and Child Disability Payment – money to help with the extra costs of being disabled or having a long-term condition.


  • Replacing Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • To provide extra money to help you if you have a disability or long-term health condition that affects your everyday life


  • Replacing DLA (Disability Living Allowance)
  • To provide support for the extra costs that a disabled child might have


In order to make decisions on applications, they ask for just one piece of supporting information from a professional. Supporting information includes things like:

  • care plans or care assessments
  • social work reports or social work assessments
  • physical supports such as mobility aids
  • physical adaptations made to your home
  • medical reports, letters, records or summaries such as occupational therapy reports, physiotherapy reports, discharge letters from hospitals – anything that will help us to understand your level of need
  • medical test results or certificates
  • a formal medication or prescription list showing us the medication that you take treatment plans


Information can be uploaded online at or sent in by post. Help is also on hand to help people with applications and uploading information – book an appointment with a client support adviser by calling 0800 182 2222.

Find out more at

Alex - The Leukodystrophy Charity